Friday, September 25, 2009

Baby Steps Through Revelation

Consider this more conversational than informative. Most of the time that I blog, I write about something that I am reading that morning. So, if I am reading 1 Peter, I write about some little nugget that was pointed out to me while I was studying. What you see, is what I see.

I mark many nuggets in my bible that I never get to, or some that will have to wait until another time. That is what I have been writing out of lately, those that have waited.

Why? Because, I am reading Revelation.

Revelation is THE book that makes me step back and go, wow, baby steps. I once had to outline Revelation in seminary, to the detail. It might have conditioned me to aversion.

Not only that, but there is so much controversy about it…often, unnecessary controversy. I do not see the doom and gloom side of God, much. I never come to that conclusion on my own. I think that is because I trust Him.

I trust that, like every other event in my life, I will be ready for it if I am meant to go through it. I also believe that whether I am an amillennialist, pre-millennialist, or post-millennialist, I don’t have to be right. I trust that God knows what He is doing.

I see Revelation like a wonderful watercolor. It is full of distractions and runs. It has shapes but no defined edges. I don’t mind its lack of assurance, and then complete assurance. In all of these duplicitous tangles, I find God’s sovereignty.

This is my favorite image, so far. In my mind, I am a pillar in the temple of God; and, as I read, I find myself longing to be the church in Philadelphia.

“If you conquer, I will make you a pillar in the temple of my God; you will never go out of it. I will write on you the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem that comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name.” – Revelation 3:12, NRSV

I am SO there; and, that is what scripture does for me. It leaves me wanting more.

This being said, I am enjoying my journey through Revelation.

Do you feel intimidated by any book in the bible?

BTW, thank you for those of you who went over to the Internet Café, yesterday. I appreciate all of your support and comments, more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to share what is on your mind.
-TJK

Blog Widget by LinkWithin