Thursday, September 17, 2009

Stop Talking, Start Doing

I have hesitated to bring this up because of the fallout that can occur around the best of intentions. I have begun a new exercise routine. I am not doing it alone, however. I have a dear friend who has agreed to take this journey with me. I have not asked her if I can talk about it, so I will leave her anonymous for now.

Let me tell you why I started. I got sick to death of talking about it. Do you have those things in your life? Some day, I will (_______). I just hate being (________). I don’t want to be that woman who is always talking about doing something and never doing anything.

For me, it is a matter of discipline. I love the word of God. As I read it, I can’t ignore the call to discipline. I am not saying that the bible is referring to exercise, but we are supposed to live disciplined lives. That means we set priorities and we plan our lives according to these. My health is a priority.

1 Corinthians 9:27, says, “But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.”

I don’t want to waste my time watching my body waste away. I certainly don’t want that for my husband. I want to steward even this part of my life.

It has been a struggle to find a program that works after my back surgery, last year; and because of this, I have been more lenient than ever in sticking to something. It is these days of discomfort that allow me say, “No, not today”. But, I have a new reason…fellowship.

It is worth the pain to commiserate with my friend. Luckily, she is hysterical and A-type, which are magical together. This will be an easier journey, and a more intentional one, with her by my side.

I encourage you today. What are the priorities that you are putting off? Are they cleaning the house, reading a book, having quiet times, doing something special for hubby? What about a new hobby? Usually the things that we should be doing are painfully obvious. I am sure that you could list them off.

Do yourself a favor. Make a plan. What is the first step that it would take to make this “thing” happen? Make it small and go from there. Tell someone else, and partner up. I am an introvert and I reached out, so no one has excuses.

Click on the “people have something to say” link, below, and leave me a note about what you want to stop talking about and start living. Let’s make it happen ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to share what is on your mind.
-TJK

Blog Widget by LinkWithin