Friday, September 4, 2009

It Is Time To Rest

There are two reasons why I want you to rest with me this weekend.

One, it is a holiday. Not a normal holiday, but one that calls for a rest from laboring. I think I have read about that command somewhere. Have a Sabbath! Don’t we need that?

When I was teaching the little kids in VBS, I explained that God wants a day free of distractions from Him. He wants all of your attentions. Good news, we can do that with our families, and what a blessing to make Jesus the center of a day with the family.

This weekend looks good already, but this is just what our bodies do in space. Does this give the whole picture?

Number two, maybe some of you, like me, will have to face something of which you are unsure, during this holiday weekend.

I was praying this morning and was told, in no uncertain terms, that Jesus will have His way. I can’t screw that up. I don’t need to fear the outcome because it is already finished. I have handed it to Him every morning. I can rest. You can rest.

Let’s not disguise rest, though. I have mocked the fundamentals of rest through the stillness of my costumes. One can be still while holding a dinner party for angst. While maintaining repose, my thoughts can race until I am inwardly unraveled into a pile of useless dread.

Rest is what our bodies do; but, even more, it is inward. It is the way that air fills your chest. It is the way that your muscles choose to hold your frame. It is the content of your thoughts.

“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” – Matthew 11:28, NRSV

This is my prayer for you and for me this weekend.

Do you need rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to share what is on your mind.
-TJK

Blog Widget by LinkWithin