Friday, October 30, 2009

Caffeinated Randomness...The Tale of Maggie

I was saddened to see that Caffeinated Randomness is ending. Andrea is closing her meme, but since I just started my dog series and I have three to go, we are going to keep it rolling for a few more Fridays.

I am telling the story of three most attentive friends, Sam (her post was last week), Maggie, and Tess. I am also going to throw a surprise in next week, so hang in there. It is Maggie’s turn. She is my 11 year old black Labrador Retriever, born April 4, 1998. Six months after adopting Sam, I adopted Maggie.

I thought that Sam would kill her at first. Another dog, in her territory? She didn’t think so. Every single time Maggie walked in the door from the backyard, until two years ago, Sam would jump on her head and growl. Maggie has the patience of Job. She never responded to that. There were, however, three times (in her whole life) that I saw her tell Sam to stop it. Let’s just say Sam listened. I was so proud that she stood up for herself.

So far we have a Schnauzer who thinks she is a Rottweiler, and a Lab who thinks she is a Schnauzer. I think that Maggie got this misconception from Sam. Sam, a Miniature Schnauzer, was an easy lap dog and Maggie longed to be. She never understood the problematic size difference, so on everyone’s lap she went. Awkward, really.

Two of the funniest things about Maggie:

Maggie is a gooser, which is so embarrassing with new company. She came about it quite honestly. Maggie LOVES attention. I used to get on all fours and chase Sam around the living room table. It was hysterical. Maggie could hardly stand to see Sam get all the attention, so she would come up behind me and goose me. It gets your attention! That began a spree of goosing, whether playing or standing. I am so proud.

Next, every single time I change the sheets on our bed, Maggie observes. She sits completely straight, watching every smoothing gesture and tuck. There is nothing that she loves more than our bed. Last year’s back surgery was Maggie’s nirvana. Her human, in bed, all the time was her time to shine.

Observing sheet changes is not the goal, however. Maggie waits until I am completely done. Then I smack the bed with my hand, which is her cue to get up. She lives for clean sheets. So, basically, I have not had a clean bed in eleven years.

What to say about Maggie? I am enlisting the help of some personality test questions to introduce you to my friends. I will use the same questions of each of dog, for comparison sake.

1. What three words best describe your personality?

Sleepy, Hungry, and Belly Rubbable

2. What three words would others probably use to describe you?

I have heard my mom say words like, tired girl, big hearted, and stubborn.

3. Where do you live now, and with whom? Describe the place and the person/people.

Mom and Dad, Sam and Tess.

We live in a house with two beds, and lots of cool tile for my morning, afternoon and night naps.

Our backyard lets me sun. I have a great tan.

4. Do you have any ailments or physical weaknesses?

I get a hitch in my get-along every now and then. Mom feeds me “a treat” every morning for that.

Mom, also, chases me down twice a week to clean my ears. I play hard to get. The belly rubs and treats are kind of worth it. Everyone gets treats, actually. I wonder how I could get all the treats.

5. If you were any other creature what would you be?

I would be pillow, or a door. If I were a door everyone would have to touch me on their way somewhere. How about a fluffy door?

6. What are your pet peeves?

The yard guys. All yard guys, in fact. I don’t like all of that noise; it keeps me up, but very entertaining.

7. What is your greatest fear?

Missing mealtime.

8. Do you care what others think of you?

Only if they decide not to cuddle or give treats.

9. What is your favorite food?

Yes.

10. How do you deal with stress?

Shed, profusely. It keeps me beautiful.

God, thank you for Maggie. Her soft heart has made me a better steward. She has taught me the unique communication of a gentle soul. Maggie has rounded some of my corners and shown me what “no worries” really looks like. I don’t know what my life would look like without her.

Pet lovers unite! Leave me a comment and let me know what your pet(s) is/are like.

3 comments:

  1. oh how sweet - I want Maggie!!! I love the cuddly lovey dogs that just want to snuggle and love on their owners - she sounds delightful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Maggie sounds so sweet! I love that she likes clean sheets!

    I cannot wait to hear about your third puppy dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I will also miss Andrea and her fun meme each week. She has been a part of my Friday for a while. She is wise to trim back as the Lord leads. Seasons come and go in our lives and bring changes with them.

    I hope you will stop by often. Blessings as you walk with the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to share what is on your mind.
-TJK

Blog Widget by LinkWithin