Tuesday, July 28, 2009

VBS Day Two

I am learning such new interesting theology in VBS (I have kids going into 1st grade through going into 6th grade). You don’t have to worry about telling the whole story because kids will just fill in the gaps. I have heard bible verses made up on the spot, and that is pretty hysterical. I have heard extra commandments. One thing is for sure, kids understand…you break a rule, you pay for it.

This is a valuable trait to work with when explaining salvation to them. I caught on to that one right away. We lose that as adults. We start to think that, somehow, we are naturally good. Scripture tells us that we are not. If I have to be honest…I know that I am not.

I had one little girl who kept telling me that she did not murder anyone. Then I gave her 1 John 3:15, “All who hate a brother or sister are murderers, and you know that murderers do not have eternal life abiding in them.” She just kept repeating to me, “But I never killed anybody, and my mom and dad haven’t killed anybody”. This is good information to know.

Like my little lady friend, I know many adults who are much more concerned about the letter of the law rather than the intent of the law. Are we striving to please God’s heart? Have we looked at the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20), lately? They were and are our commandments for us to live by.

  1. You shall have no other gods before me
  2. You shall not make for yourself an idol
  3. You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, and keep it holy
  5. Honor your father and mother
  6. You shall not murder
  7. You shall not commit adultery
  8. You shall not steal
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
  10. You shall not covet

How are we doing?

1. Is God first?

2. Have we given other things value that hinders our relationship with God?

3. Do we throw around God’s name in ways that do not reflect His holiness?

4. Do we take time off to focus on Him?

5. Do we honor our parents, not obey or respect, but really honor them?

6. Do we hate people and disassemble their existence in our minds?

7. Are we guarding our marriages from any stealers of our affections?

8. Are we taking things that are not ours, that belong to God and Him alone?

9. Are we spiteful and backstabbing? Do we say things that are not true about others?

10. Do we want what other people have? Are we content with what we do have?

All of these questions bring us back to God’s intent for our lives. Are we breaking God’s law? And, if so, are we asking forgiveness for it? These are laws to protect us and create a peaceful community of believers with the same focus. Our purpose is to bring glory to God. These laws point us to that end.

So, this is the next thing that I have learned from vacation bible school. Sometimes, we need to go back to the basics to remember who God is.

Today, we found out that we all break God’s laws…tomorrow, what God did about it. Pray for this because we have a lot of unchurched kids in our group.

Father, thank you for your commandments. Thank you for revealing these to us so we know how to live for your pleasure. In your grace, let us see where we are breaking your laws. Give us repentance in our hearts as we look for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to share what is on your mind.
-TJK

Blog Widget by LinkWithin