Monday, July 27, 2009

VBS Day One

I started VBS, today.

I love the bible, and I love its stories. I thought, why not? I have always said that if you can’t tell a first grader what you believe then you don’t really know. Hmmm…well, I have told lots of first graders what I believe about the Egyptians today.

I hope that I can be coherent this week after my VBS’d mornings. All I can think about are those poor teachers who do this day in and day out. What are you thinking? Or, can you think at all?

Do you know what the children where the most amazed at? They could not believe that God knew them before they were born. He made them and knew them. Jeremiah 1:5, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

How do I understand that as a woman? A lot of water has gone under the bridge since my time in the womb. The kids looked at me and said, “I don’t understand”, to that part of the verse. Instead of explaining what a womb is, I thought it best just to say, “Before you were born”. My heart could not take that discussion.

So, I was formed in the womb. That is such an intentional act. I look at my gigantic frame, my big head, my cellulite, and I think, what is all of this? It was an act of sovereignty. Everything from my desire for quietude to my moles…all intentional.

Isn’t it interesting that God not only formed us, but He knew me? He knows me now. He knows when I need Him so much that I can’t even form the words. He knows before I am going to step back from Him and why. He knows how I try to take control sometimes. He knows what makes me laugh, really laugh. He knows how my heart has to trust before it can love. He speaks love to me. He knows me.

I am amazed at this verse, too. Isn’t that intimate? My husband and I are intimate, but there is an intimacy to someone forming you and knowing you before you were born that no one else has.

Not just that, but God is still forming me and knowing me every day. He made me perfectly, and every day He is pruning me back to that perfect creation.

Because I am His today, I am consecrated…set apart for God’s use. That includes vacation bible school storyteller. This verse refers to Jeremiah becoming a prophet to the nations, but our task is just the same. God doesn’t waste that intimate relationship with His creation.

I don’t know what I have been set apart for, yet. It seems to be a series of tasks now, but I know that He is preparing me for something. I can only hope it is not being a school teacher, after today.

Anyway, if you have not found your appointment, it will come. It is why we were formed, what we were consecrated for and appointed to. Let’s be amazed at our journey from womb to woman, today.

Father, thank you for still being with us. Thank you for giving us that same attention that you offered when you were forming us. Show us where you have appointed us, and make us useful to your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to share what is on your mind.
-TJK

Blog Widget by LinkWithin