Thursday, August 20, 2009

Rounding the Corners

The one thing that I can count on is that my life will always be turning a corner. Just when one thing is done, there is another decision to be made. These decisions take up too much room in my brain.

When I am rounding another one of these corners, I walk into my “time” with the Lord, distracted. The last one that we had was my husband’s job. These types of things put you on your knees…a lot.

We have had a new possibility brought to our plates. So, this morning I went into prayer time, distracted. I asked God to take away all of the world that was caking on my flesh, and just strip it away so I could be with Him, alone. I remained distracted, constantly coming back to my new corner to be rounded.

I read Philippians today, and I was brought to these three verses in prayer.

Ephesians (not Philippians) 5:8, NRSV, “Try to find out what is pleasing to the Lord”.

Philippians 3:12, NRSV, “Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own”.

Philippians 2:11, NRSV, “Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed me, not only in my presence, but much more now in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling:…”

See, the common denominator?

They all tell me that the relationship is not one of resolution; not until I am dead, so I need to get this idea far from my mind. These verses tell me that God moves forward. He has the answers, but that doesn’t mean that I get to have them right now. I may not see the answers for days or months. I have been there. He is faithful.

I could yell and demand it from Him. I have been there, too. In the midst of my ranting and raving, tears and whimpers, I have found that the revelation of God is the sweetest part of the process.

The day before Dwight received his job offer, I was given this verse in prayer, Joshua 3:5, NRSV, “Then Joshua said to the people, ‘Sanctify yourselves; for tomorrow the Lord will do wonders among you’”. The next day, you can be sure that I knew the sovereignty of God.

That is why I put my trust in Him.

So, new goal…instead of getting crazy this time, I want to find what is pleasing to the Lord in this process. I want to press on instead of getting distracted by my distractions. I want to understand why I fear and tremble before the power of my God who is going to amaze my husband and I, once again. More than anything, I don’t want to miss one moment of watching Him work.

I want to be faithful in the process, like He promises to be.

Are you in a situation that requires your faithfulness?

Father, thank you for being faithfulness so that I can rely on yours. Bring us to the place of uncertainty with all of the confidence that resides in you. Let us understand the process of Christianity, and its importance in relationship.

1 comment:

  1. I honestly don't know how it seems we are in the same place all the time. I'm definitely struggling through a corner. I know God has great things ready to amaze me, but I can't seem to quit trying to figure it out before hand. I'm sure He giggles at me quite often.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you for taking the time to share what is on your mind.
-TJK

Blog Widget by LinkWithin